Monday, November 01, 2004

Encouragement

How do I encourage those who encourage me? Those who know me well know that I struggle with self image. I want people to like me. I find it distressing when I offend people even when I speak the truth in love.
Last Sunday (yesterday) Pastor Tim, my friend, told us about pride using "Obadiah". Now I struggle with, the pride that makes me want people to like me. As a team leader of short term missions I need to make choices and decisions that sometimes are unpopular with some members of my team. Others will hear of my decision, through viewing a change or through the mouths of those affected. Being who I am I cannot voice my reasons for the action because it is only between me and that person. Anything else I might say would not be an act of love but an act of retaliation (God will make things right in the end!)
My wife and I are leading yet another trip to all ends of the earth (South America this time), where we hope to encourage and enable our brothers and sisters in Christ to "preach the gospel of the kingdom - in the whole world as a testimony to all nations". My confoundation (is that a word?)is I cut a person from our team for not answering all the questions on our application. No address was given, no bithdate, no phone number, no signature. These are adults and I expected some minimal information yet because of their theology they would not submit a completed application. I believe we have to respect each others theological stands but I also believe if I set the standards for participation with a team that I am responsible for then they should respect my stand or not apply at all. Applying and blatantly refusing to cooperate is an act of confrontation for a confrontation. I believe this is an act of division and not unity so I denied the application. Now this person is angry with me for not giving in to their views and letting them use their skills and talents to serve the Lord on our team. Hum, am I long winded or what? You see, I now have at least two who do not necessarily "like" me and then a few more who have heard of my decision and don't know the whole story. I know that I can not change what has come to pass but I do want to make sure my team is encouraged with who they are and the number of team members that will be going. I can't address the situation and yet keep anonymity for the applicant.
Well, I guess the encouragement is in Christ. All other things I try to do are in vain, vain - pride, so I guess the answer to my original question is to "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and Waite for the Lord".
Thank you Violet for your words of encouragement.

2 Comments:

Blogger Violet N. said...

John, you're welcome (for the encouragement)!

About your present dilemma, I think you're on the right track. I've been musing lately about several times God left Himself open to misunderstanding. One of them is the story of David bringing the ark back on an ox cart. He thought he was doing a God-pleasing thing. Then the ark almost fell, Uzzah reached out to steady it and God struck Uzzah dead. David was confused. But that act of God's quickly got David back to searching out and then conforming to God's standards.

I think as a leader, you have to get your directives from and seek only to please your boss - ultimately God. Sometimes that will mean keeping your mouth zipped, even in the face of misunderstanding. God is simultaneously doing a work in others through your action. You have to have the courage and faith to let Him, and without your interference. But resisting the impulse to justify your actions is a hard thing. Pray a lot!

12:47 PM

 
Blogger John said...

Of course you are right Violet. Pride is a worthy opponent, keeping ones mouth zipped means conquering the prideful need for rebuttal. The claws on my back have been released.
John

7:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home