Thursday, May 19, 2005

Counting the cost

I was visiting with my friend Brian yesterday. We were remembering yesteryear and what sports we have done. Which of those sports we choose to do today (or could)and why. I would not think of playing football with all the tears in my knees. Baseball is now out because running is out. Ok, so running is out too, as is basketball and tennis. You ever wonder why so many older people choose golf? All of this is leading up to what Brian said about why he doesn't play all those young guy sports. You see Brian was a surgeon up until just a few years ago. Specifically he was an eye surgeon. Brian got a condition that slowly took his sight in one eye and that took most of his depth perception. Not only can't he play baseball but surgery is also out.
I have been on short term mission trips with Brian where we do vision clinics. Brian's gifts are many. I have seen him remove a steel sliver from a mans eyeball saving the man from sure blindness. I have witnessed the long lines of people waiting in the blazing sun just to be seen by the Christian doctor. Brian has lost most of his sight in one eye but he has not lost the sight of what God has asked him to do. Brian gives of himself because he knows the gift he was given. Brian loves the Lord and that makes me thankful that God put him in my life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary DeMuth said...

Brian sounds like a terrific guy who has allowed the Lord to miniser to and through him during a difficult time. Wonderfully written, John. You capture Brian well.

1:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home